Wednesday, May 13, 2015

12 ANGRY MEN OR ONE ANGRY MOM

When I was in high school, I read the play 12 Angry Men.  I was amazed that one man could cast doubt on what appeared to be a clear case of murder.  But I was unsettled since there never was an outcome, a solution, a verdict…..Oh, yes -everyone was talking but that’s all that seemed to happen.

Twenty five years later I find myself 1 Angry Woman and although I always prided myself on my optimism, I must say I am losing ground. You see, I’ve always been a patriot, daughter of a WWII veteran, machine-gunned by a Nazi who lived to tell about it.  My entire career has been teaching the US Constitution and its brilliance as a government.

I’ve had many things in my personal life to be angry about.  But they are linked to my choices, poor ones at best.  Our nation’s mental health system, however, can be blamed on no one, other than apathetic baby-boomers who simply may be fortunate enough never to have encountered it.  That's why my angry tonight.

I’m no Glenn Close who can rally Hollywood to make commercials for advocacy.  I admire her work which we need, but frankly I live the life, without the awards, money, or green cleats that may be breaking barriers one day.  That sounds harsh, but it’s true.  If I could get on a commercial, would I have your attention……I can do that, you, know.  I’ve captivated the minds of thousands of teenagers and instilled a love of their nation, not an easy feat.

But for today, I’m just one angry mom disgusted with a system that has failed her 32 year old son, stripped his dignity, and tossed him aside because he has a disease that people now talk about but do little else.

No comments:

Post a Comment